International organization, Geneva
Besides its US headquarters, the international organization has a second major office site in Geneva, Switzerland. It is located in the historical building complex of the „Palais des Nations“, which was constructed in 1938. In 1971, an extension with a so-called hanging facade (see drawing) with IGUs out of non-tempered float glass was added. Those had to be replaced due to haze and partly cracks.
Since the entire building is listed, the material as well as the construction had to be replaced true to the original. Thus, the IGUs had to be 13m high and manufactured with float glass, which nowadays is difficult to obtain in that dimension.
Whilst fabricated manually and with a high effort in 1971, sedak now manufactured the oversize IGUs fully automatically and with a production time of just a few weeks.
The technical drawing demonstrates how the glass façade was realized as a “hanging façade”.
9 IGUs, 13.1m x 2.29m, 12mm heat-strengthened float glass