The University of Montpellier has a long history reaching back to the 13th century. The faculty of medicine was founded in 1220 and is the oldest existing one in the world. To create future-oriented space for education and research for more students, the architect François Fontes designed a new building for the renowned faculty. It was his aim to unite tradition and progress as well as to demonstrate the excellence of the institution.
For the realization of that central architectural idea, sedak manufactured a total of 28 4-layer glass fins with a height of up to 12.68m. They support the all-glass façade of the 780sqm big main façade and of three minor facades of the 12m high building. This transparency gives a clear view into the building's interior. Each of the 4.8t heavy glass fins has five titanium fittings and stainless steel Upper-profiles and U-profiles provided by the client. They are necessary for the installation of the glass fins.
On an overall area of more than 11,000sqm, the imposing new building offers space for five auditoriums and 25 teaching and working rooms where additional 3,600 students are educated.